Jean Barlow Training Solutions Ltd
Jean Barlow is a highly qualified and experienced teacher and trainer. Jean has worked with many school leadership teams and educational staff to promote social and emotional impetus to improve learning in a variety of settings.
Jean has worked for several local authorities in the North West and has network links with many others throughout the UK. During the latter part of her career she has been invited to take part in conferences, workshops and training that feature nurture, emotional health and well being of children.
Jean strongly believes that the nurturing approach helps children to build emotional resilience, promote autonomy and organisational skills. The cultivation of enquiry, social cohesion and happiness within groups, enable the challenge to be enjoyable and exciting. Individuals find their own potential whilst learning more about one another.
Mainstream, special settings and other tutor work
- Primary - class teacher.
- Secondary - form tutor, Art, English and Drama, Head of Drama.
- Child and Adolescent Mental Health Unit - Class teacher and therapeutic intervention in Art, Drama, and Music.
- Special school - form Tutor and general subjects.
- Outreach - Behaviour Support Service- senior teacher with responsibility for Early Years; Key stage 1 and 2; and Transition.
- Educational Trainer in DCSF strategies relating to ECM agenda - Emotional Literacy; Nurture; Behaviour Management; Circle Time; Therapeutic small group work; Parent skills; Peer Massage and developing a happiness culture and positive school ethos.
- Special residential school - Drama club leader.
- Involved with Manchester Metropolitan University's Social Care Department for more than 5 years and placement tutor for first and second year student placements.
- Guest Tutor at Manchester University (Education Inclusion).
- Associate Tutor with Edge Hill University (CPD).
Training and presenting
- Delivered training throughout the UK and in Australia and New Zealand
- Provided training for volunteers to take part in after school therapeutic clubs and parents to become facilitators of parent clubs.
- Westminster Briefing Children's Conference 2006 and 2007.
- Presented philosophy of education - theory into practice to colleagues in Auckland.
- Delivered presentations and workshops at conferences in Blackpool, Bristol, Chorley, Huddersfield, London, Newcastle, Rochdale, Roehampton and York.
- Working in partnership with Manchester Metropolitan University & Coventry University Individual Project.
- Brought Peer Massage into the mainstream curriculum in England, Northern Ireland, New Zealand and Australia along with three colleagues.
- Published articles about the development of massage and circle time and nurturing approaches to support emotional resilience in children.
- Developed high quality training to support staff and volunteers working in school, extended school, children's centres, nurseries and community groups to communicate clearly, develop language and social skills, have fun and gain self confidence.
- Provided quality practical and advisory support to school leaders to improve teaching and learning and pupil behaviour.
- Manchester Victoria College : Cert. Ed ( Dist Drama)
- Birmingham University: BPhil( SEN, SEBD)
- Leicester University: Nurture Group cert.
- MISP Instructor: London
- MISP trainer: London
- (NASEN) National Association for Special Educational Needs
- (SEBDA) The Social, Emotional and Behavioural Difficulties Association
- (EHA) The Emotional Health Alliance
- Alliance for Childhood